News

home News

[220520 Àú³Î¹ßÇ¥] Concerted type I interferon signaling in microglia and neural cells promotes memory impairment associated with amyloid-beta plaques

Á¤¼±¿ì ¦¢ 2022-05-17

HIT

Concerted type I interferon signaling in microglia and neural cells promotes memory impairment associated with amyloid-¥â plaques

Immunity. 2022. May 10;55(5):879-894.e6.

Abstract

The principal signals that drive memory and cognitive impairment in Alzheimer's disease (AD) remain elusive. Here, we revealed brain-wide cellular reactions to type I interferon (IFN-I), an innate immune cytokine aberrantly elicited by amyloid ¥â plaques, and examined their role in cognition and neuropathology relevant to AD in a murine amyloidosis model. Using a fate-mapping reporter system to track cellular responses to IFN-I, we detected robust, A¥â-pathology-dependent IFN-I activation in microglia and other cell types. Long-term blockade of IFN-I receptor (IFNAR) rescued both memory and synaptic deficits and resulted in reduced microgliosis, inflammation, and neuritic pathology. Microglia-specific Ifnar1 deletion attenuated the loss of post-synaptic terminals by selective engulfment, whereas neural Ifnar1 deletion restored pre-synaptic terminals and decreased plaque accumulation. Overall, IFN-I signaling represents a critical module within the neuroinflammatory network of AD and prompts concerted cellular states that are detrimental to memory and cognition.

Keywords: Alzheimer¡¯s disease; interferon; memory impairment; microglia; neuroinflammation; synapse.

Prev [220506 Àú³Î¹ßÇ¥] Regional A¥â-tau interactions promote onset and acceleration o...
Next [220520 Àú³Î¹ßÇ¥] Human neural cell type-specific extracellular vesicle proteome...